Tuesday 1 October 2013

O Capitain! My Capitain!


Sydney Askeland
#8-5050 13th Avenue
Okanagan Falls, B.C.
V0H 1R4

October 1, 2013

Captain Van Camp
Commander
HMS Princess Margaret

O Captain, My Captain:

Such tragedy, distasteful tragedy has struck us. You are a noble man Captain Van Camp. I cannot imagine how hard it was to make such a decision. Unlike the others, I understand the heroic legacy in which you wish to achieve by saving five of our young lives.
This is why I am writing to you, O Right Honorable Captain. You see, the others amongst the ship are going to try everything: begging, bribing, sweet-talking, etc. But I, Your Excellency, understand. Most of us are the same in age, very young indeed. We have our lives ahead of us, or at least five of us do. We have families and friends who care, dozens of people waiting for our safe return. If they haven't yet broadcasted our misfortune on the radio, our loved ones are sure to worry when we don't contact them.
What would you do if you could live through this? Where would you go? Who would you confess your love to? I had never put much thought into my plans for the future. Now, under the circumstances, a million options are buzzing through my head. So many chances and opportunities I would have had. I would make a difference. I would go to school, get the top education possible. I would find my soul mate and stop at nothing to make him mine. I would have children, and give them the world on a silver platter. First, I must make it through this. You see, how many of these crewmen have plans? How many have a real future? Are there any doors open for them? Can they make a pure path for themselves, unscathed by the temptations of urban sin?
This is why, Captain Van Camp, I can assure you that I am a worthy candidate. Knowing how close I had come to a premature death, I will make the best life imaginable for myself. It is hard for a woman to compete in such circumstances, but a gentleman would never let a woman die before a man, would he? That is how I see you. I know you are the wisest to have sailed these deceitful seas. Ne'er should it be uttered that you had been anything other than a hero. Though I merely hope to sway your decision, my respect for such an honorable man has left me in a contented place. I realize how hard it will be to make the decisions, to play the role of God. I will not be mad sir; it has been the experience of a lifetime to serve under your command. I hope that it will not be the last great experience in my life. I have had a fulfilling childhood, and the rest lies ahead of me.
Thank you for your consideration, Captain Van Camp. It has been unforgettable.

Sincerely,
Sydney Askeland

No comments:

Post a Comment